Treatment with Restasis
What is RESTASIS®?
- RESTASIS® is the only prescription eye drop that helps increase your eyes’ natural ability to produce tears, which may possibly be reduced by inflammation due to Chronic Dry Eye. RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion did not increase tear production in patients using topical steroids or tear duct plugs.
- Research has shown that Chronic Dry Eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca, may also be called Dry Eye Syndrome) may possibly be the result of a functional problem in the tear-producing glands of the eyes. This reduces tear production, resulting in an insufficient amount of tears to lubricate or nourish the eye
How does it work?
- RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion is the originally prescription eye drop indicated to increase tear production which may possibly be reduced by inflammation on the eye surface in patients with Chronic Dry Eye.
- RESTASIS® did not increase tear production in patients using topical steroid drops or tear duct plugs.
- The approved treatment is one drop in the morning and one drop at night in each eye, every day.
- RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion helps increase your natural ability to produce tears, which may possibly be reduced by inflammation due to Chronic Dry Eye.
- RESTASIS® is believed to work on the inflammation to relieve it and enable greater tear production over time.
What are the side effects?
- The most common side effect reported by 17% of patients was ocular burning.
- Other side effects reported by 1% to 5% of patients included conjunctival hyperemia, discharge, epiphora, eye pain, foreign-body sensation, pruritus, stinging, and visual disturbance (most often blurring).
- RESTASIS® is contraindicated in patients with active ocular infections and has not been studied in patients with a history of herpes keratitis.